Satellite
  • Day 30

    Blue Pools

    March 29, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    On my way from Wanaka to Fox Glacier I drove on the scenic road over Haast Pass, the southern gateway to the West Coast, which is probably one of the most stunning that I have seen so far.

    The journey offers a variable landscape of rainforest, wetlands, lakes, glacier-fed rivers and white water rapids.

    I did the Blue Pools Walk, which has become world-renowned as a must-see highlight in this wilderness region. It features a carefully maintained gravel path and boardwalks that wind through a native silver beech forest and lead to a swing bridge strung high above the Makarora River. The views back to the mountains of the Main Divide are absolutely breathtaking.

    The track continues deep into the forest, with bellbird and tui calls echoing through the trees, to a series of crystal clear pools that have been carved out of the rocks by centuries of erosion.

    The glacier-fed water in these deep pools is the colour of deep azure blue, and so clear that you can see right to the bottom, making the resident brown trout look like they are suspended in the air.

    There are also lots of little rock/stone sculptures so I thought I add mine 😀🗿
    Read more