Satellite
  • Day 123

    8.15 San Pedro La Laguna

    December 24, 2018 in Guatemala ⋅ 🌬 21 °C

    If there is one thing that appears on world‘s maps more often than Santa Cruz, than it is San Pedro. I have visited so many San Pedros on this journey, that I stopped counting them. This one is called San Pedro La Laguna (The Santa Cruz at Lago Atitlán, like all other cities, also have the suffix “La Laguna”).

    The power of the ancient

    This is where the boy was meant to study the old Latin language we nowadays call Español, or for the non-spanish speakers: Spanish or Spanisch. Living amongst them who have the power to speak the old (and new) words of this language, the boy was supposed to learn from the wise masters and non-masters and chosen to practice their rituals. He was not just thought the ancient ways by the women of Orbitá but also by the mighty people of San Pedro La Laguna. From a no moon to a full night, it was told, one needs to study the idioma to possess the knowledge to speak the words of the past, preset and future.
    But it shouldn’t be this easy for the boy, once so ambitious to acquire this power.

    Translation:

    Learning a language

    I was to study Spanish in San Pedro, which I also did for 2 weeks. Four hours per day, excluding the week end. Of course, homework and vocabulary training. To get even more involved, I did a home stay with a local family (nice). The school I went to is named Oritá and lead by René, who founded the school and developed his “own” teaching concept.
    The time in San Pedro was super, but who the f* developed so many nonsense irregularities for the language. I guess only topped by French, there are so many rules and deviations that are completely random and sticking with the “regular” rule would make things so much simpler and would even make the words sound bad.

    Anyway, ... I keep practicing! Quiero hablar español!
    Read more