Satellite
  • Day 55

    Palacio de las Aguas Corrientes

    January 29, 2020 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Yesterday morning Eske, Laura and I went to the Water Company Palace. We walked down the Avenida Córdoba for about 35 minutes and crossed the big Avenida 9 de Julio halfway.

    Opened in 1894, the “Palacio de las Aguas Corrientes” is one of the most beautiful buildings in Buenos Aires. Covered with 300 thousand pieces of terracotta brought from Great Britain, it stores in its interior, a huge iron structure made in Belgium.

    Today it's a National Historic Landmark and the seat of AySA (Agua y Saneamientos Argentinos S.A.), an Argentine company dedicated to the supply of running water and wastewater, holding more than 72 million liters of water for the City's supply.

    We underestimated the time to get there and arrived late, which turned out to be a stroke of luck since many people showed up and the tour was overcrowded. The museum holds a large collection of historical books about water network supply, drains, pipes and water-based projects.

    With the exception of a huge toilet collection, which turns out to be very funny for photos, the exhibition about the palace is rather boring. There is currently a very nice exhibition of Edgardo Nelson Rodriguez with giant creatures made of plastic bottles, that wants to draw attention to the tons of plastic bottles in the oceans and the problems it causes.
    Read more