Satellite
  • Day 13

    La Faba - Roasted Peppers and Kindness

    October 1, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    I'm resting now in the hamlet of La Faba a small hamlet on the way up to O'Cebreiro. With little more than a dozen houses. The German Confraternity couldn't be more welcoming (something the English Albergue could learn from - maybe despite my intention to stop I didn't due to an officious English reception). My feet are very sore and I have a real risk of a blister. Couldn't stick my boots today (again) so it was in the sandals (and socks again). Missing fold at home, but non more than my love Emma. X
    Dinner tonight was a delight, just three of us (Cindy from the USA - a hospital pharmacologist , Franz from Germany - I think he's an international Bank Director; and me (Bill) from England - a village idiot 🤤). We passed through enroute to La Faba the hamlet of Pradela (Bierzo) and received at the Albergue Pradela the most beautiful welcome and kindness from the hosts. We had witnessed as we entered the town a small group of people roasting peppers on an open fire in front of a house. We spoke of this at the Albergue, and not only were we shown the store of peppers, tomatoes, and various fruits, we were given a piece of chestnut cake (chestnuts are in abundance and fall on pilgrims heads frequently) and a jar of their roasted peppers to eat. It's safe to say they were delicious and didn't last the impromptu lunch break. Franz is a true gem, frequently producing from his rucksack a feast of breads, cheeses, and meats. His conversations have been a privilege to participate in, thought provoking and incisive. For me he typified why German's are regarded so highly and rightly so.
    Read more