Satellite
  • Day 23

    Welcome to Santiago

    October 11, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 13 °C

    Today (9th October, 2017) I walked the final 22km into the beautiful City of Santiago de Compostela. With tired feet and the heat of the day, the first sight of the magnificent Cathedral did not come quickly. From the Monte del Gozo (Mount Joy) where once the first glimpse of the Cathedral spires was seen by pilgrims, this early view is now obscured by trees. Monte del Gozo while being some 5km out from Santiago (and more like 7km to the Cathedral) is a large gathering place for pilgrims, who flock to the over-sized monument commemorating the pilgrimage that Pope John Paul II made here in 1993.
    The last few kilometres were slow and at times laboured, both from delaying the inevitable conclusion of my 790km walk from St Jean Pied de Port, and reflecting on how I might/should/ would feel when I arrived. Standing in front of the Cathedral for the first time was both spectacular and emotional. Stepping on to the last 'shell' of the Camino de Santiago (km zero) and removing my backpack was surreal and the sense of relief and loss of the weight must of hurt (because I had tears running down my face). Recovering my composure I watched pilgrims arriving much like me (fully loaded, sweating, and emotional to be in Santiago). Pilgrims were laughing, hugging, and sensing the significance of what we had achieved. Now it is time to get checked into my last Albergue, aptly named (and chosen for this reason) Albergue The Last Stamp (and this would be the last stamp / sello in my Credential before visiting the Pilgrims Office tomorrow and receiving my 'official Compostela'.
    "The pilgrim abandons himself to the breadth of the greater life that leads him beyond the farthest horizons, to an aim which is already present within him, though yet hidden from his sight."
    Read more