Satellite
  • Day 2

    Miraflores

    September 17, 2016 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Woke up feeling way more refreshed after a good night's sleep.
    Headed down to the coast for our first view of the Pacific Ocean...amazing! Beautiful view, despite the fog, and the waves look great, clean and straight. Great for watching the locals surf and the tourists try to. Despite much pestering from the vendors we haven't yet taken a dip, maybe in a few days when we return. Lots of people trying out parascending from the cliffs, and getting scarily close to them too! Looks great though, and they're joined by some great looking vulture-like birds of prey that frequent the skies here. And there are little birds too, we even spotted a hummingbird today!

    The sun eventually came out and the fog gave way to even more stunning views. After a wander down the steep hill to the beach, past some interesting statues and Goudi style art, we were first entertained by the misfortune of a fellow beachgoer. He was taken by surprise by a wave and landed face first on the beach. Safe to say we approached a paddle with a little more caution! And so we had our first paddle in the Pacific...lovely, except for the painful walk on the pebbles, and it was much warmer than expected too!

    Crabs came out to play on the pebble beach and it was nice to just sit in the warm sun and appreciate the day and the view.

    Our first proper use of Spanish to order food wasn't too bad and the early afternoon visit to the local Wong Supermarket put our English supermarkets to shame. Relaxing music with cheese, meat and cakes galore! "They're not doing it Wong, they're doing it right!" (only Rich appreciated the wonderful pun!)

    Back at the hostel now before heading to Limas Old Town.
    Read more