Satellite
  • Day 7

    Morning fishing

    September 22, 2016 in Peru

    Headed out to do some morning fishing today. Planned to leave at around 6 to avoid the sun but a slight mix up made it 6:50 and boy oh boy does it make a difference. Probably the hottest day today and by 8:30 the sweat was pouring, especially on a boat without any shade.

    Heading up river, we saw another sloth hanging out in the tree and many more birds, including a capped heron chilling at the shore.

    We anchored ourselves to a protruding branch at a slightly stiller part of the river and took up our fishing positions. We used simple wooden sticks and fishing line contraptions with 1a bit of beef for bait.
    I wasn't sure how to actually fish, so I lost my first piece of bait quickly without any attempt to catch the fish. After being told what to do (simply tug the line) I soon caught the first fish! A red bellied piranha!! They're the ones they always use in Hollywood movies and his teeth were insane!! He was too small to keep though so we chucked him back in. Shortly after I caught another one, again too small though so no lunch yet. One thing I wasn't too happy about was my inability to catch fish without the hook ending up through their poor eye. Not sure this is a hobby I will like to take up.

    Rich was next catching a silver bellied piranha, but again, not big enough for lunch. The last catch by us was another one by me (apparently I can catch fish) and this time a Catfish. Looked awesome but once again, too small!

    Fortunately our guide Andy caught three pretty big Peacock Bass, however, he had a proper rod so definitely had the advantage. We will be having these alongside our lunch, which is due in a couple of hours, before we have to say goodbye to this amazing place.
    Read more