Satellite
  • Day 18

    Copacabana, Bolivia

    October 3, 2016 in Bolivia

    After our food, we chilled out for a little while and then took a taxi to the ecolodge we had booked. It is a really nice place with very thick stone walls, to keep us warm on the cold nights, and solar panel showers for hot water, a rarity for us here in Bolivia.

    We headed out to the stony beach that surrounded the lake to watch the sunset in the distance, whilst listening to the tiny waves lapping on the shore. The sun fell just behind the mountain tops, which we could just make out at the opposite side of the huge lake. The few whispy clouds in the sky made it look even better and the red of the sun, just before it disappeared, was so intense. Such a lovely way to spend the afternoon!

    After this, we headed to the town for some dinner. The Belgian man running the lodge recommended a place to eat. It didn't sound too overwhelming from his description and he said it had a Manchester United sign outside, so we didn't have high hopes. However, as we have been told to be careful when it comes to food in Bolivia, we figured at least it would hopefully be safe eating.

    It looked like a nice place, once we finally found it! We had walked up a large hill and then realised it was at the bottom, just out of sight. Not so bad normally, but when walking up just a few stairs has you panting due to the altitude, it really was a pain.

    We ordered pizza and pasta and then we waited, and waited, and waited and waited. It seemed like forever...definitely shouldn't take 45 minutes to make pasta and pizza right?
    It finally came out, well the pizza did, Rob waited even longer for his pasta and we tucked in. Safe to say the bus guide was correct when he apologised for the poor food we would get in Bolivia. I honestly don't know how you get pizza wrong, but they did...and badly!
    It was so crunchy it turned to dust when you cut it, there was no sauce and so much garlic that it actually burnt your mouth. Richard's had a chorizo type meat on it that had been cooked so much it was like rubber. It was so tough and chewy and not even nice tasting.
    Luckily Rob's pasta wasn't terrible and he kindly shared a bit with me. We wished we knew how to complain in Spanish, but we didn't. Also, the service was so slow it would have probably meant staying there another hour just to have a moan. Never mind, it was fairly cheap at least.

    The walk back was much nicer. Rich went to get some chocolaty treats and we spent the walk back along the beach staring at the sky, which was filled with stars and The Milkyway, which stretched right across the sky over the whole lake. Absolutely stunning!
    We got back and the boys got their cameras out. The pictures of The Milky Way they got are incredible and I will try and share them when I can. It was well worth standing out in the cold for and I was also lucky enough to see a shooting star! Woop!

    We headed back to the lodge and found that we had been locked out... whoops. The gates were padlocked. We were a bit puzzled as we had told the guy we were going to take photos, so we didn't understand why we had been locked out. It also wasn't very late. Rob and Rich started to look and see if there was any way to climb over the walls, or find a secret entrance somewhere. Whilst they wandered off to see what they could achieve, I sensibly had a little look on the gate posts and found the bell. Sure enough, I buzzed the bell and the guy came to unlock the gate apologetically. He thought he had seen our lights on and that we were back already. Rich and Rob were a little dismayed they didn't have to find their way back in mission impossible style.

    We walked back up the few but very tiring steps to our rooms and were happy to find them toasty and warm!
    Read more