Satellite
  • Day 54

    Redwoods and lakes in Rotorua

    November 8, 2016 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    After the beautiful pools we headed to a redwood forest close to the town to see them in all of their glory. These aren't quite on the same scale as those in California as they weren't planted long enough ago bite nevertheless they are biiiiig! Most are over 60m high and although some are still quite skinny, the older ones are very impressive to stand next to. You find youse self craning your neck the whole time to try and see them. Part of the forest we walked through contained other trees from the area too and lots of bush, which we wandered around with an ice cream. On the way to the car though we saw another section of forest that was beautiful.... pure redwood, nothing else there, just a red floor and then tree trunks of thick cracked bark. It looked amazing! We took some photos whilst some children tried to ruin them with a game of hide and seek (best place for it as the trees are great to hide behind) and then headed to the car to visit the green and blue lakes.

    The green and blue lakes were, granted, green and blue. But after the pools we had seen earlier and the bright blue spring the other day, they did just look a lot like ordinary lakes on a beautiful day as they were so dark. Nevertheless they are still beautiful though and surrounded by the green forests which makes the blue pop even more. Wish we had had time for a swim but we needed to get back to camp whilst light and have a go at fixing the cigarette lighter (we think a fuse has blown and it is our only means of charging stuff on the road 🙁).

    Unfortunately we can't locate the fuse as it's all in Japanese so we are going to head to a garage tomorrow.
    Read more