Satellite
  • Day 117

    Repose in Albuquerque

    August 15, 2018 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 72 °F

    August 15, 2018, Albuquerque, NM
    I know that many of you are wondering why you haven’t seen any blog posts from me in over a month, but after leaving Nashville, we headed for Albuquerque for Herb to entreat his Orthopedist, Dr. O’Guinn, to do a repair on his increasingly painful left shoulder.
    At first I delayed posting a blog about this because I wanted to have a date to post. We waited about a week to get to see O’Guinn, but when we did get in we got a date: August 17. In the meantime, we’d about had it with the lack of storage and close quarters in the Envoy, so we started looking at Class A’s, and after looking and talking and getting all our ducks in a row, last Monday we took possession of a brand new Fleetwood Southwind  37’ with a V10, 6-speed transmission. It was a nightmare for two 70-somethings getting everything moved from the Envoy to the Southwind.

    It’s finally getting there, though. The unit has bunk beds, which we need to put the overflow in. Tomorrow we will get shelving set up in the bunk beds so it will be organized.

    What we gain is monstrous: I have my own bathroom!! OMG! What a gift! We have a wide, comfortable living space. We have a luxurious master bedroom with enough floor space so I am not endangering either Touly  or myself trying to get around him to go the bathroom at night. (I used to have 2 ½ ft max, now I have at least 5’). And we have a washer/dryer combination!
    Herb will have about 5 wks of rehabbing the shoulder before he can drive the RV. In the middle of that time, my daughter, Sarah, will be having her 50th birthday celebration in San Diego on Sept 14th. We had planned to take the RV and stay a couple of weeks, but we have decided that I will drive us in the Honda Civic with the dogs. Herb and I will stay at Miramar MCAS, and farm the dogs out to Sarah.

    We plan to leave here Sept 26 (we are at Albuquerque KOA, but Balloon Fiesta is coming up in October and the rates about double), we have reservations for Fredericksburg, TX RV park for the month of October, which coincidentally, occurs as a sort of Burges HS classes of ’63 and ’64 mini-reunion.

    In November we will head for Corpus Christi for a few weeks and then meander toward Florida for the winter.

    The general plan is to go North when the weather warms up and spend some time in Georgia and the Middle Atlantic states before coming back to Albuquerque for 2-3 months, then San Diego for 2-3 months. The plan is to spend time with family here and family in San Diego, and the rest of the time to stay wherever the temp is a pleasant 72°! 
    Read more