Satellite
  • Day 38

    Sisters, Or for a couple days

    July 4, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 81 °F

    Got up bright and early to head out of Lake Diamond. Three reasons we left....

    1. No internet or cell service; nothing.
    2. Mosquitos... as bad as Minnesota.
    3. Sue’s dad, “Daddy-O” had emergency surgery last night and we needed to be in-touch.

    About a three hour drive but glad to have a full hookup site on the forth with no advance.

    Decided to drive thru Eugene, Or and see if Aubrey Timmons was around. She wasn’t but touring campus was an experience. An RV with a tow car is great but it has one limitation that most don’t know about...

    It can’t back up while the tow car is connected.

    That limitation make directional decisions Very important. Unfortunately, we experienced a bad decision.

    Turning down “University Avenue” would seem to be safe. Not here. We got to an intersection with a “DO NOT ENTER” and the only option being a left turn...which led to a small parking lot, much too small to do a “U” turn. So we had to stop, unhook, turn the RV around and re-hookup. Thank goodness classes were out and the lot was empty.

    Heading east, we followed thE McKensie river thru the McKensie pass. Nice drive but you can clearly see (and still smell) the wildfire that ravaged the Williamette National Forest 15 years ago. For miles and miles all we saw was toothpick trees. Undergrowth is back but incredible devastation.

    Nice spot to see Mt. Washington and the burned out area though.

    One thing we noticed... millions and millions of butterflies. We must’ve killed a thousand coming down the mountain. The gas station person who cleaned the windshield didn’t touch the front end. I have a lot of work to do.
    Read more