Satellite
  • Day 80

    Vs Maori All Blacks

    June 18, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    The next match we went to was vs the Maori all blacks, billed as the 4th test match, Our hosts were very confident that we would lose convincingly. The lions put in a solid performance and we won! Finally were receiving some respect from the all black supporters who before this game had been telling us we would defiantly lose...they will probably still be right for the actual tests though!
    While in Rotorua we took part in a world record attempt for the largest haka with over 7700 people!! Our hosts were very excitable people generally, this nearly sent them into overdrive and made us arrive 3 hours early!! Flooky, Amie and Ben conveniently thought of things they had to do around town, leaving Susie and I to be polite, turns out ben just went to a cafe and read the paper!!! We also went to the moon craters, because of the volcanic activity in this area these moon craters were constantly releasing steam which gave the impression we were 'on a different planet'.....apparently! However it was very interesting but the smell of sulphur was horrific. However, it could have been some of flooky's more potent farts.
    Next we went to the Luge, which is a sort of downhill go karting. This was unbelievable fun, the competition and the rain started making the racing fairly dangerous though. Both Flooky and I had fairly epic wipeouts managing to flip out karts over, which we assured Susie was an impossibility. Turns out driving headlong into a curb a foot high at full speed will do the trick, we were both quite lucky to come away with only minor injuries. Not bad enough to stop us planning to go back again at a later date!
    Lastly we went white water rafting on our way to the next destination. This was grade 5 rafting. Both Amie and Susie didn't really have a say in whether we did this or not. We conveniently forgot to mention that this had the largest waterfall that it is possible to raft over in New Zealand, sitting at 7.5m high! Unfortunately when we arrived we had to sign the 'death waiver' during which we were shown some pictures of people unsuccessfully rafting this particular waterfall. The fear seen on both Susie's and Amie's faces were a picture to behold, but if I'm honest my face probably looked similar!! Anyway we all survived! On the bright side Susie didn't get motion sickness, but she was sick from nerves anyway. Hopefully one day she will manage to go vomit free!
    Read more