Satellite
  • Day 245

    Working in Australia

    November 30, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 34 °C

    A quick post to write about our time working in Australia. In September we worked for a month in an RSPCA clinic in Broken Hill. Broken hill is a small city in the outback, pretty much as far away from any other civilisation as you could get. On our first day working here we were brought in a baby kangaroo to treat - luckily the nurses knew exactly what to do as this was our first time even seeing one! We saw many more along with a baby emu too. It was very strange working here - the next town was 4 hours away, so if the clinic didn't have space to see a client they would have to travel 4 hours for another vet! If we wanted to refer a case it would be at least a 7 hour drive to the nearest city!
    Next we worked in Darwin for two months. It was a little busier but so warm! Average daily temp was around 35 C, but the worst part was the humidity! It meant we spent most of our time inside under the air conditioning but we braved a few days out to visit Kakadu and Litchfield National Park. We were also invited to their Christmas party which was a cruise on a yacht - a bit different to British Christmas parties!
    Read more