Satellite
  • Day 1

    Travel day

    January 31, 2019 in Nicaragua ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    An early wake up (3:30 am) this morning. Our plane leaves at 6:00 am so we need to get to the airport pretty early. We hop on the shuttle at 4:00 am and arrive 15 minutes later. It's pretty cold out there, I will be happy to trade the minus sign for the plus sign.

    At the airport we go to the American gates and head for the line up for security and customs. When we get there we see a sea of people waiting in line; there must be over 400 people. We thankfully see the Nexus logo where only 3 people are in front of us. This Nexus card pays for itself.

    Once security and customs are over we head to gate 81. We get to our gate pretty early, there is no one yet arrived. We head over to get coffee and a snack for the plane. About 45 minutes later we are starting to worry that our travel companions who had to use the regular security line might miss the plane. I ask the flight attendants if there is any way to wait for them. They simply tell me that if they miss their plane they will "simply" have to book another flight. Thanks...

    We are asked to board and still no sign from our friends. We are worried as we have passed the gate and are waiting to get in the plane. Thankfully at the last minute we get a text that they made it and will be able to board. They had to run through the airport.

    Our flight to Miami goes great. We have an hour and a half wait before we take the next flight to Managua. We stop to eat and head to the gate last minute. As we arrive our names are called at the desk. "Shit did we lose our seats" is the first thing that comes to my mind. It was finally just a re-sanning of our passports. She would not tell us why but that it had to be done.

    This flight was a bit longer than expected, one of the pilots seatbelt was defective and needed to be replaced before we took off. A mechanic is required to fix this. It took an hour due to the replacement part being completely at the other side of the airport.

    The flight went well, we arrived in Managua about 45 minutes later than the original expected time. Our whole group goes through customs and immigration without any problems. Yay 🙂. At the exit Gustavo, our driver, is waiting for us to do the last leg of our travel for the day. We have a 3 hour drive heading north to our destination.

    The drive took a bit over 4 hours. Traffic was present and the roads are under lots of construction. Gustavo did a great job getting us to the resort. We made a small pit stop for some alcoholic beverages. We are ready.

    Upon our arrival we are shown our cabanas and get the explanation on how things are setup. It's going to be a really nice stay. Once we set everything our supper is served. The food is great. We are pretty tired from our journey so we head to bed.

    Tomorrow we start surfing 🏄‍♂️
    Read more