Satellite
  • Day 160

    Under the sea adventures

    October 26, 2018 in Indonesia ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Today we go on a little boat trip to visit the Maumere Bay, which is home to several islands and some amazing reefs. In 1992 there was an earthquake and subsequent tsunami in Maumere which resulted in significant damage to the reefs, however now recovering. Fisherman also practice bomb fishing, which has hurt the reefs as well.

    We head out on a wooden boat together with a Canadian family and German couple. Our first stop is an amazing reef wall, home to some lovely corals and lots of small tropical fish. Lila is excited to see Nemo and sea stars and lots of little tropical fish. Our second site is another equally if not more amazing reef wall with great coral and a huge amount of sea life. One of the others on the boat saw a shark, but we didn't see it. We then stop for a quick swim at the crack caused by the earthquake in 1992. There is some beautiful coral which has grown in this crack attracting some sealife. We stop for lunch at a picturesque beach before heading for another snorkel stop in more choppy waters. We then head back to our bungalows after a very nice day under the sea :)
    Read more