Satellite
  • Day 15

    Museum day in Florence

    April 22, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Today is museum day in order to avoid the hot Weather. I arrived at Uffizi museum at 8.30am and am the first few who go in. Inside is so peace and quiet and I get to appreciate the renaissance masterpieces up closed without being pushed. To be honest, I am more into medieval art (more expressive, grande) than renaissance (portraits and body compositions). I am also not an art gallery person and could only spend 2 hours in this beautiful palace museum.

    After the Uffizi, I went to climb up the Santa Maria de Fiore cathedral tower. Although I watched the sunset from Piazza de Michaelangelo, the view on top of this 98m high tower is spectacular. The medieval streets are winding through Florence from Central station to the river Arno. Red brick rooftops like it has not been touched for centuries. The Alps mountain range is in the distance with a blue sky as the background. What a beautiful city! But I wont be back because there are far more tourists than locals. The whole town is filled with tourists, half of them are American. I feel like it doesn't have its own soul anymore.

    Lunch again is at the San Lorenzo Market. I had this beef dish that is so filling yet I don't know which part of the cow it is from!

    The temperature is heating up and the line to go into the Santa Maria church is getting ridiculously long. I visit the church museum briefly and have decided not worth queuing to go in. I gave my entry ticket to a very nice French couple and start making my way home.

    The train ticket I have for Milan is a business class - finally! I am also very pleased to leave the bustling Florence to a more civilised town.

    I have a very nice room with a small balcony facing the street. I had my little dinner with the sinful prosciutto belly, pecorino chianti cheese and a tiny bottle of Prosecco DOC.

    Yum... tomorrow is the big day.
    Read more