Satellite
  • Malta Week 1

    August 24, 2018 in Malta ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    So here we are, in a wimp we have landed in the middle of Mediterranean. The office is still under construction with noise coming from left right and Center. The Malta team is lovely and Mel has been very supportive.

    Life is not easy here. We are paying first world price and getting third world quality service.

    Life
    - We can only drink bottle water. Tap water is hard water an is not safe to drink.
    - Hard water is not good for my hair. Most apartments need to install extra pump to keep the water pressure up.
    - Driving is crazy here. Parking is a nightmare.
    - Island time. Everything is God’s view.
    - Dust Pollution due to not having enough rain dries my throat.
    - Food, especially seafood, is not cheap. Wine is cheap though.
    - It is fairly hot in the middle of the day and I can’t stand aircon.
    - Maltese are generally very helpful and polite.
    - Unsure about the healthcare situation here
    - Mosquito might be an issue
    - A lot of stress of moving around, living out of a suitcase and mess everywhere.
    - Not everything is within walking distance and not that at meet ups around to meet new people.
    - standing desk not set up and cause lots of pain!

    Work
    - 6am start isn’t too bad. I do need to have a nap in the morning or in late afternoon though.
    - Most people work from home or from Mel’s penthouse. Only the initial few days I feel I am with the team, the rest of the time I feel quite isolated even I go into the office.
    - Unsure about what my job scope is now and feel that I have been left in a hole. I am a bit jealous of Pez who has Chris Kosh to hold his hands.
    - I don’t feel right about the politics within the company and not knowing who is siding with whom here.
    - I still don’t have good feeling about Claire who talks up everything. She is very different from those who are successful that I have encountered. I just have to entertain the dance for the time being.
    - Unsure how long it will take me to marry / get excited about the gambling industry. Perhaps 3 years?
    - I don’t like the style of Jonas and how he treats some of his staffs. Mel may not have the industry experience, but she certainly knows how to manage and motivate staffs.

    At the end of Week 1, I become sick 😕
    Read more