Satellite
  • Day 3

    Day 3 - Alcatraz

    May 1, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 12 °C

    The day didn’t start too well when we got a phone call from the tour guide and there was lots of confusion about pick up. We ended up making our own way over to the pier to catch the ferry over to Alcatraz.
    Such an interesting place!! The audio guide was fantastic!! Just the right amount of information, wasn’t an overload of it, and kept you interested as you walked around the prison! Heard stories from prison guards and inmates about life in Alcatraz & about the attempted escapes as well. Got to go inside the cells and see how small they really are - no wonder people go insane. A great tour. Made our way into the bookshop and there was one of the former inmates there who had written a book about his time in Alcatraz & grabbed a signed copy!
    Headed off to the meeting point for our arvo city tour. We were a bit worried as we were there right on time, no one else in site and no tour bus. The tour bus turned up shortly and we had the bus to ourselves. Some tjings were repetitive for us after already doing the hop on and off bus, but good to see again. Also got to see some things we hadn’t - Twin Peaks, an amazing view of San Francisco.
    After the tour we headed to Pier 45 to check out the Musée Mécanique which had all these old arcade games and puppet show things. All played with quarters.
    Went to this place for dinner that’s famous for its sourdough bread and crab chowder. The bread was nice l, the chowder not so much. Would much rather Lucy’s cheese dip!!!

    Caught the cable cars again and hung out the side. Went to the Top of the Mark at The Incontinental for amazing views and a cocktail. Then finished off the night at Tonga - tiki bar at the Fairmont, didn’t seem fancy enough the be inside, but it was so cute. There was a small Pool in the middle, and a boat which came towards the deck we were standing on whilst the band played. It also rained indoors and there Straw hut things and tiki cocktails
    We weren’t gonna stay out late but things changed haha had a great night
    Read more