Satellite
  • Day 11

    NYC - more walking

    May 9, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    So our stay in NYC has featured lots and lots of walking. It’s the easiest way to get anywhere that’s not miles away and we’ve done pretty well navigated around the city. Although, no one pays attention to what colour the traffic lights and walk signals are, everyone pretty much seems to go whenever they feel like it. We’ll master it by our last day here - at least we are looking the correct way now when crossing the road.

    Our morning starts at the Top of the Rock - Rockefeller Centre. Amazing views of the city from above.
    Fao Schwarz, the toy store, up next. We had a bit of fun here looking at all the toys and then we found the ‘Grand Piano’ on the floor like from the movie BIG and we had to have a go!!
    Grand Central station next on the list, so more walking - courtney we felt like we were Serena when she first arrived in Gossip Girl 😂 The main area is beautiful with the high ceiling. Such a busy place!
    From here we managed to get a ticket and hop on the subway down to Battery Park and from here a ferry to the Statue of Liberty. Today’s weather was a change from yesterday - sunny and warm to grey, windy and cold!!! We had pretty views of the skyline here as we headed across to the Liberty Island. Once we disembarked we made our way up the Pedestal which is the grey bit underneath the statue - the base of it. We were hoping to go up the crown of the statue but it was booked out until September - if we had of known we could have booked earlier but oh well. After a look theough the museum, which was okay but missing all the statues and most things behind glass cases, and 195 steps we made it!! So glad we did it, we had nice once again and got some selfies with the lady herself!
    Some nice blue water surrounding would have made it better, looks like the George’s River. After some more photos and a lap around the Island we grabbed some lunch. Back onto the ferry to head to Ellis Island - where the immigration centre is. It was pretty cool to see but was a bit over it all by this point, dozing off in one of the movie presentations..whoops!!
    Caught the ferry back to New York side and then made our way to the ticket place to grab some cheap tickets for a show. We watched Waitress - I would never have picked it but Sarah liked the look of the posters we had seen around. We didn’t know what to expect or what it was really about and it worked in our favour!! it was a great show!! 👌🏼
    Read more