Satellite
  • Day 123

    Ski Patroll #2

    February 6, 2019 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ -18 °C

    Had to he at ski patrol for 7:45. It was -22 degrees or so in the morning. -37 on top with wind chill.
    I rugged up pretty well and used some hand warmers which are a life saver.
    I got paired up with TJ and he was alpine pod leader and on black forest.
    The bullet was closed because of wind so we put up fences and closed signs first off.
    We did one run of millies mile and nearly got to the bottom when we got a call for an injury.
    It was a 72 yo man who had fallen off the side heading down to black forest.
    He had a pretty bad memory loss. Couldn't remember how he got there or what he had for breakfast. It was cool seeing the first responder ask him if he remembered the 3 three things he asked him obviously before we got there.
    The old man didnt know what he was talking about.
    They wanted him to stay on the ground but he was pretty insistent on standing. Then we did a standing spinal take down when the toboggan was ready.
    We left once he was loaded. Did a couple more runs at black forest and then went up to the alpine for coverage. There was a dislocated shoulder at the bottom of the ridge rocket, so TJ and I skied to the top of the ridge, got a toboggan and took it all the way down. They gave him antinox and loaded him into the toboggan.
    We took another replacement to the top of the ridge, I got to have a practice of skiing the toboggan to the chair. Feels quite good although it wasnt very steep.
    Not alot else happened really, just tried to stay warm in the alpine hut. Picked their brains about avalanche stuff.
    It was a fucking cold day.
    Went straight from ski patrol to Mo's to play dnd. It was a really good session, we started early so we got through alot. Getting better at pacing my spells and stuff.
    Read more