Satellite
  • Day 12

    Paris - Pantheon, Mouffard, Notre Dame

    September 7, 2017 in France ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Another big day of walking ahead, so Glen and Jeff decided to do the Hop On/Hop Off bus around Paris. We did start out with a Metro ride though, but in the end I think we ended up walking a big chunk of Paris and home again, given taking the Metro by the time we we were ready to come home was going to take only 2 minutes less than walking. Walking won.

    The agenda for today started us out at the Pantheon, but given this was not THE Pantheon, Craig was willing to reserve entry until we hit Rome - so only the outside viewing. Across the road was the Sainte-Genevieve Library which I wanted to have a sneak peak of, but non-borrowing visitors apparently are only allowed at certain times, and it was about 4 hours from when we rocked up, so it didn't eventuate. We then wandered to the Rue Mouffard Market which is a lovely narrow cobblestone street full of specialty shops (fish shops, veges, olives, fromagerie, patisserie, flowers etc) and narrow restaurants and cafes. The street is narrow as is, but the vendors pull out checker-plate platforms into the street to extend their shops which gives it a very intimate feeling. Craig bought his Opinel wooden handled knife whilst we were here, so we are set for picnics for the rest of the holiday now.

    A 20 minute walk further on we were crossing the Seine to the back end of the Notre Dame. Craig had declared this a "no queue" day, so it was only for a look from the outside, and then we ran into the parents! Around the corner from here, we joined the Parisiennes in what seems to be a prolonged affair and had déjeuner at one of the gorgeous cafes that line the streets. I had lunch a glass of rosé which seems to be the vin du jour (and with good reason - quite quaffable!). After lunch we continued on to the Pont Neuf to look at the thousands of padlocks attached to the balustrade and then across to the "inside out" Centre Pompidou.

    The kids are keen for their holiday souvenir to be a pocket knife, so as we were walking to Rue LaFayette we came across a hunting shop. It was so tiny and full of what would mostly likely take up 4-5 times more real estate in Australia. As such, it was a constant stream of saying "pardon" to every other person in the shop as you walked in or around them, trying to not let all the stock fall on the ground. A bit of an experience trying to negotiate buying a couple of pocket knives.
    Read more