Satellite
  • Day 23

    Nice was nice-ish

    September 18, 2017 in France ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Nice was nice, but certainly not my favourite place in this part of the world. This may in part be due to the hideous weather that came along today. A bit of a chill in the air, cloudy so not blue sky and intermittent drops of rain. A bit annoying really! Because Nice isn't really a tourist location to be enjoyed in inclement weather, it was a bit of a dampener on proceedings. As a result, we also decided to ditch the idea of going to Monaco. The hills are definitely more our thing than the waterfront locations.

    Our AirBnB coffee table has the Rick Steves guide to the French Riviera. We took his advice and decided to avoid the exorbitant fees and hassle of parking in the centre of Nice and parked at a nearby tram station. That all went pretty smoothly. We wandered around the markets in Vielle Ville, which based on the pricing of their wares (which were mostly pretty good), they cater for a more affluent clientele. It started to spit so we took refuge and had a leisurely lunch on the waterfront - the kids enjoyed crepes, Glen and I had homemade gnocchi, Craig had mostly salad. After lunch, a walk along the Promenade was required to appease lunch guilt.

    Notable things on the Promenade... Craig got a call from an old school friend via Facebook Messenger, so I thought I might as well ring my sister.

    I am being good tonight and going straight for the wine to avoid the bier ;-)
    Read more