Satellite
  • Day 27

    Catacombs of Saint Sebastian

    September 22, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Today we headed outside of the city walls of Rome to the Parco Regionale Appia Antica. After successfully navigating the bus we needed to get out there, I stupidly got us off the bus a little too early. I can therefore report that despite being one of the earliest Roman roads, the Appian Way (or Via Appia Antica) is still used to the fullest and was VERY busy and somewhat hairy walking along the edge of the road on a very narrow stretch which is walled on both sides and barely wide enough for two vehicles, let alone pedestrians. Eeek.

    Anyway, we did eventually make it to the Catacombs of Saint Sebastian in one piece, had a very informative guided tour of the Catacombs where there were just the six of us + one other lady. Afterwards, we then wandered through a very small part of the parkland (it is over 3,400 hectares) which is scattered with Roman ruins.

    Despite not being able to speak Italian, Glen and I had a lovely conversation with an elderly gentleman out doing his daily exercise in the past. We managed to deduce he was originally French, so spoke French, Italian and very little English, but we somehow managed to piece together a conversation.

    Unfortunately we couldn't see the large aqueduct as it was at the opposite end of the park, but decided we may as well walk back to Rome which took about an hour and a half. But, we were able to walk through the city walls.
    Read more