Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Wanderung auf den Måtind

    September 17, 2021 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 10 °C

    After we seemed to have the lucky fairy 🧚🏻 on our side while whale watching (tour guides told us it was the best watch the last four years with the weather and combined sightings) we decided to take a sunset hike to Matind, the mountain we saw from our camp spot last night.
    The trail trailed along the sandy beach first, then wound along a lake densely grown with small birch’s and then in typical Norway fashion went muddy and straight up.
    The last part crossed along the ridge and the breathtaking views started. I launched the drone for pictures and a video today, but we made it a quick as possible as the sun was setting.
    We did have to take some time for these views - left, right, straight down… the pictures speak for themselves. It really is that beautiful. Just as we wanted to leave I found a different view down the other side I needed to get some big camera pictures of… I made it as quick as our marriage would allow… 😉 then we started our hike back the same way we came.
    I had grabbed two headlamps as we set off - Jeanette looking at me puzzled with a „You think we need that?“
    And need them we did - right into the steep slippery part light was noticeably fading. With the mounted lamps it did take us just as long to get down as up, as you want to be extra careful not to miss a step. Once more I am super thankful I can trust my ankles and knees to handle a bit of brute force (that’s what we train for!).
    The way back along the beach gave us hope that this day would end perfect: There was one cloud opening exactly to the North and the Northern Lights forecast today was >50% chance.
    We cooked a late dinner outside and started our watch - up until midnight and then setting an alarm for every hour… sadly no luck: the clouds closed for the night.
    We have 2-3 more nights North enough that we might get a second chance 🤞🏽fingers crossed.

    Hike to Måtind from Bleik Beach
    Length: 11,3 km
    Altitude gain: 610 hm

    Most pictures view onto Bleiksøya (triangular rock, famous nesting place of thousands of birds including Puffins from November to April).
    Read more