Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Trollstigen - Stairway to Heaven?

    September 25, 2021 in Norway ⋅ 🌧 4 °C

    Did I mention they build crazy streets here? Well, this one, Trollstigen (troll‘s stairs) takes the cake.
    We got up really early this day as the forecast had snow - not a good combo of you want to go over 2 passes… but it looked like once again the forecast was wrong. But the early start gave us the whole street all to ourselves. No car to pass or to cross.
    Spectacular, breathtaking, impressive… it’s hard to put into words the zig zag of a road going up this mountain side. There are at least a dozen waterfalls going over and under and all around the hairpin curves, and that is not even counting mini waterfalls!
    The biggest one that carved the main flank of the wall is the most impressive though. you drive right over it on a small bridge about 2/3 up (see portrait format picture).
    We took our time and enjoyed having the round and the sights for us - at the top parking we did see 1 other car and 2 campers that looked like they had spent the night. they had done a great job of setting this lovely viewpoint into scene. It must have been a fancy architect and he did a good job here of incorporating the elements and letting nature be the main character, not his structure… but juxtapose as well as accentuate the dramatic backdrop. And: he had done a much better job at building the gangway in a way so you could get the best view and picture- even if you had other tourists around. Which we didn’t 🤙🏽 it was just us for a long time.
    Read more