Satellite
  • Day 44

    WEST COAST WASHINGTON & OREGON

    October 12, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    We left Vancouver Tuesday October 10th. We spent 4 days meandering along the West Coast of Washington and Oregon. We were amazed by the variety of rocky cliffs, sandy beaches, scrubby beach grass, and always the sea, the waves, the crashing breakers and hissing surf. Along the Oregon coast we hiked among huge sand dunes like the Sahara desert. The spectacular sunsets over the sea were amazing. It was a beautiful drive. We have avoided cities and freeways -- we took a ferry to the Olympic Peninsula, then turned south on the 101. We drove west of Seattle and Portland. We stayed in a smelly el cheapo roadside motel and a fancy luxury upscale chalet with a jacuzzi and a fireplace and a wonderful ocean view. We ate great steamed local fresh fish, and Denny's grilled cheese.

    We hiked each day -- not really far -- (5 - 13 km) but enough. It sometimes rained, mostly at night. It has been unexpectedly exciting to see so much change in coastline as we move South.

    In Port Townsend, I swam in the local swimming pool one morning. The town is a pretty little place with a long maritime history, including a visit from Captain Cook. The pool was great but seemed a little shorter than I expected. I asked the life guard and he explained that it was short because the pool was built by pirates. "You see," he explained, " The pirates didn't use meters --- they use YARRRDS!"

    Now we are off to California and will be dodging the 2017 Wildfires.
    Read more