Satellite
  • Day 22

    Menaggio, Italy

    May 2, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 57 °F

    Our first rainy day in over 3 weeks!! We have been so very lucky with weather. Decided to go to a market and explore the area North of us as we have not yet traveled that way. The market was (supposedly) in Gravedona, about 30 minutes North. Looked all around the area, towns before and after, and never found a market. :-( While looking around we saw a sign that said 71k (44 miles) to St. Moritz. (Switzerland). So we decided to go there for lunch. :-)

    The scenery changes pretty dramatically at the North end of Lake Como. The mountains get higher, more snow and steeper sides. Kay loves the mountains and loved every minute of this drive, even in the rain. While only 44 miles, most all was winding mountain roads with the exception of one beautiful valley in Italy right before we reached Switzerland. In that valley, we saw a spectacular very long waterfall on the side of a mountain. As luck would have it, we turned off the road to take pictures and there was a park there so we parked and were able to walk almost to the base of the falls. Not quite the same as the waterfalls in Norway last year but impressive.

    Arrived St. Moritz and checked out town. The Olympics were held in St. Moritz in 1928 and 1948 and will be held there again in 2020. Lots of construction going on so they are clearly getting ready. Check out trip advisor for a restaurant suggestion and ended up at a very good one overlooking the Alps and the large lake below. Food was great and a nice break from pasta and pizza.

    Back "down the hill" (ask Illene about the ride through the pass). A grocery store stop to last us most of the rest of our time here. Fresh trout for dinner. Dinner and another quiet evening with E-mail and planning for tomorrow's hike - weather dependent.

    Miles: 1.5 :-(
    Read more