Satellite
  • Day 23

    Menaggio

    May 3, 2018 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Another mostly cloudy day but some warmer. Off to do our planned hike/walk from Menaggio to Porlezza which is from Lake Como to Lake Lugano. Distance is 12.5k (8 miles) in the hiking tour book but we always manage to want to see something else or make a wrong turn.

    The way was mostly paved. We started from where we parked our car in downtown Menaggio and walked up quite a bit on roads and steps through town. Finally caught the trail above Menaggio. The trail is also a bicycle trail and was mostly paved or gravel. After we reached the top of the hill it was mostly flat the next 7 miles. The trail follows an old railroad path that has been repurposed. Lots of green everywhere, trees, meadows and hillsides. Went through a few small towns and a Nature Reserve around a good size lake, Lake Piano. There was a trailer campground there so we were about to get a Coke Light to go with our sandwiches that we brought. Sat by the lake and watched the ducks.

    During the last stretch, decided to try to find a geocache and were successful, found in a drain spout near a castle. Always fun to find one. Made our way the last 3 miles to Lake Lugano where we sat by the lake and Kay had a beer and Illene had ice cream. Into Porlezza to catch a bus back to Menaggio. Fun hike and so pretty.

    Back to condo for a bit of clean up and feet up. Then out to dinner just a mile down the hill to the #1 TA rated restaurant in Menaggio. La Vecchio Magnolia. Good, not great. We both had pasta of different types. I had a curry pasta, interesting but would probably not order again. Another good day.
    Read more