Satellite
  • Day 41

    Munich

    May 21, 2018 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Bright sunshiny day and off early for downtown Munich - about a 20-25 minute walk and tram ride away Today is a holiday in Germany, Ascension Day, (40 days after Easter) so no shops or grocery stores open again. (Yesterday was Sunday) Went "downtown" - Marienplatz - city center and lots of cafes and tons of tourists - to find breakfast. Amazing the number of people having beer for breakfast!! This is a very beer drinking culture (wine is secondary). Pretzels (the bread that comes with all meals) eggs and ham - tasted good as I have been having cereal and yogurt for many day s in a row.

    Headed for the TI and the City Walking Tour at 10:45. Nice small group - only 6 of us there for the English tour - our guide originally from Rhode Island. We toured the City highlight city buildings, history of Munich and WWII history, as well as churches and the English garden (where they surf in Munich). Some German engineer managed to create a wave area in the myriad of underground waterways (used to be moats) and now it is well known venue for the surfing community. A nice group of people and a good tour. Nice conversation with a professor from Rutgers who was traveling Germany speaking on political psychology. I managed to spend some time with the tour leader and got some recommendations on museums (there are so many you have to chose), restaurants and other sights.

    After the tour, back to the TI for information and tonight's reading materials. Then to the central train station where there were stores open and I found a grocery store. I was thrilled. Back to the city center and a late lunch at Neurnberger Bratwurst for their specialty - sausages and sauerkraut. And of course the obligatory beer. :-)

    Back to the apartment for some catch up, a visit from the owner who was able to adjust the TV for some English TV stations (CNN and BBC) and some time on my balcony just admiring the view. Out late to check out a geocache near by. Too funny. As I am crawling under a railing looking for the geocache another couple comes up and, as it turns out, they are looking for the same geocache! Geocaching is big in Germany. They found it quite quickly so we shared in the find together. They were from Northern Germany, near the border with the Netherlands. Down the street for a take out pizza and home for TV and pizza.

    Miles: 7.5
    Read more