Satellite
  • Day 53

    Bad Wildbad

    June 2, 2018 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 66 °F

    Breakfast with the other guests today. Talked with a couple from Australia who travel a lot so nice to hear and speak some English instead of my highly inadequate German. Off to Baden Baden, about 30 miles away, and the "capital" of the spa towns in the Black Forest. A horse racing town as well, a major European race this weekend. Horses (sculptures) all over town, just like the cows in Chicago and the bears in Berlin.

    A great day in a lovely small City - Baden Baden. Season is starting so plenty of tourists around The city is known for its "baths" but also for cultural events all year around. Spent some time finding where to park and then off to find the TI for a map. Beautiful weather - around 70 sunshine and puffy white clouds - I will never have another vacation like this one which such amazing weather for 2 months!

    First booked my tickets for the early evening concert in one of the "largest concert and opera houses" in Europe" - the Festspielhaus - a 6PM start time so perfect timing. I do not relish trying to find my way around this forest at night.

    Just wandered the town for 4 or 5 hours. A big pedestrian only section with the numerous cafes and shops. Baden Baden is an upscale town and the shops reflect that concept - Missoni, Louis Vuitton, Escada, etc. I tried the Faberge museum thinking it sounded interesting - not. Small, dark, minimal English and minimal any kind of description. Story of Carl Faberge and all he did mostly before he did eggs. Jewelry, dinnerware, etc. Only 2 eggs on display (they were beautiful) but many more eggs for sale in the gift shop. :-) And from the prices, I think they were real. So that was only a 30 minute stop.

    I had read about the lovely park that goes through the town and, indeed, it was beautiful and goes for about 2 miles - long an narrow with a river running through it. Many of the big museums are along the way, rose garden, huge belle epoch villas, lots of bridges to walk back and forth and a very pleasant way to spend a couple hours. Treated myself to a late afternoon upscale lunch/dinner in one of the lovely cafes overlooking the garden. Rizzi - great carpaccio and a Thai creme soup with scallops!! And, of course, a German Reisling. Life is good.

    Then to the concert, the concert hall is huge (seats 2,500) - only built 20 years ago. I was surprised to read that it was that new as the entrance looks old. Checking on line, the location was an old railroad station and the kept that as the entrance and then built the very modern structure within and behind. The acoustics were terrific - I sat in the 2nd balcony and it was like I was next to the stage. Pianist solo for a Liszt piece, terrific. All was great. Home and only got "lost" once.

    Miles: 6.3

    The orchestra was the Dresden City Orchestra
    Read more