Satellite
  • Day 62

    London

    June 11, 2018 in England ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    Last day in London and of this trip. Home tomorrow. Spent the AM cleaning up and "pre-packing". Had been thinking that I needed to do at least one new thing on this trip. When I left here after a month last year,one of the neighborhoods I did not get to was Shoreditch. Shoreditch is an revived warehouse area in East London known for its quirky shops, a creative hub of London, good food and street art. So off I went.

    And there is street art everywhere including entire buildings painted with art. Took tons of pics will attach a few. Walked 3-4 miles in the narrow streets, poking around corners and checking out the curious shops and looking longingly at the myriad of street food trucks and kiosks. An area called Boxpark - a unique store front shopping block - all the shops are very small - probably about 400sq ft. (10x40) An entire block long - every kind of shop imaginable with very different types of items and clothes. Wish I had more room in my suitcase. But much fun. Also hit Brick Road - a street with dozens of restaurants, and more quirky shops. Old Spitifields Market, touted as the best in East London was a wonderful mixture of open air shops, restaurants and food trucks.

    A major decision was where to have late lunch/dinner. Wanted to east outside as it is another warm, sunny day in the city. Decided on a food truck an had a duck wrap with hoisin sauce, slivered cucumbers and spring onions! Delicious - lots of tender duck.

    Back to flat in time for a quick "lie down" and then out for my favorite show - Les Miserables. Wonderful as usual - strong leads and the show never fails to impress with its music and story. The theater is still full and prices for tickets above anything else I saw this week - and it is over 30 years old!! Amazing.

    Miles: 6.7
    Read more