Satellite
  • Day 6

    Colombia Day 7

    July 31, 2018 in Colombia ⋅ ⛅ 59 °F

    A rainy catch up AM and some rest for Mary Lou. Off to explore the La Candelaria area in more detail today. Using Uber most of the time for transportation within the city. First stop, the Teatro Colon - could not get in so only a picture. Looked to see if we could attend an event there while we were here but only a play going on, they also do symphonies,opera and ballet but not this week. Wandered around the pedestrian streets for awhile, checking out the stores and wares for sale. Tried to go to the Museo Botero but it was closed on Tuesdays. Fernando Botero was a Colombian artist know for painting fat figures. So off to the only 3 star attraction in Bogota - the Gold Museum, Museo del Oro. A very well done museum with a lot of gold as well as interpretive movies on the making of gold designs and other metallurgy work. Definitely worth a stop. ML and I out to thee the San Francisco church listed in the guide books. A stark reminder of all of the catholic churches that I had seen in Ecuador and Peru - walls of gold - and very poor parishioners. Not my favorite thing to experience. A light snack and a beer at a cafe and home for a late afternoon rest.
    Out for dinner locally at the recommendation of our hosts. El Barrio - a neighborhood Colombian restaurant - just OK - dinner for 3 - $45. (only 1 beer in that for me). Early evening home for ML to get some rest. Off to Pereira tomorrow.
    Read more