Satellite
  • Day 22

    Alaska Day 22 Anchorage

    July 28, 2019 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 61 °F

    Beginning the fourth week of our trip.
    First stop today was the Alaska Native Heritage Center. Definitely a worthwhile visit. A different type of museum. Exhibits were 6 different full size different native tribe houses built around a lake. Each had someone to explain the building and the differences in the cultures. In the main building there were performances going on on continuously. We watched 2 of them - one on native sports and one on native dance, both most interesting. Also in an auditorium, movies played each 1/2 hour about some aspect of native life. In addition they had lecturers leading tours of the homes talking about different aspects of each culture. In another area vendors with all types of native crafts; jewelry,art,woven goods, ulu knives, etc. An interesting couple hours.
    A lovely botanical garden rounded out our activities for the day. A large area broken up into smaller gardens with different themes. Interesting art as well. We meandered through the paths and enjoyed the peace and quiet. Met another couple from Salt lake City who knew the gal, Diane, we met on the cruise!! Small world.
    Out for Thai food tonight, wrong restaurant choice. 👎
    Read more