Satellite
  • Day 8

    NYC to London Days 8 & 9

    October 27, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 61 °F

    Up and out for our last day in NYC. Night flight to London around 8 PM. Packed first and then out for one last stroll on the NYC streets. A stop at Rockefeller center to admire the Halloween decorations and array of ornate sculptures. St Patrick’s Cathedral was right across the street so we stopped in there for a look around it’s amazing interior, especially the stained glass windows. Next church stop up the street was St. Thomas - Episcopalian. Spectacular circular stained glass window here as well.
    A very nice lunch at LaBonne - a French cafe in that part of the City.
    Back to Isabel’s to finalize the packing and say our goodbyes. And one last pic of Isabel’s cat, Agnes. 😂
    Airport check in amazingly easy after the hassle to get all the prerequisites together. Dinner and wine while we waiting for our flight. Flight went fast. (Shorter from NYC than SF. 😂).
    Arrived around 8 in the AM London time. Breezed thru the airport and found out way to the Heathrow Express, our train to Central London. Then the underground to the stop closest to our apartment and a 15 minutes walk followed. A bit early for our check in so found a cafe in the area to have a cup of tea - Kay (and a Diet Coke for Illene).
    Our apartment is as advertised. Compact but all the necessary amenities. A short nap and out to checkout the neighborhood. We are in Islington section of London, sort of NW - amour a half mile from the Kings Cross St Pancras underground stop.
    Headed towards the British Library, an amazing complex of buildings with the showcase 6 story glassed centerpiece- King George III personal library- pic below. Spent a short time in their Treasures exhibit which includes one of the four original Magna Cartas. A walk and some pics at the St. Pancras Hotel - now a Marriott - in the St Pancras train station. Spectacular Gothic building. Found a nearby pub for lunch/dinner and after one drink with out meal realized that we both “hit the wall” and needed sleep. Grocery shopping doe essentials on the way home, a bit it BBC and both to bed by 7:30P!!!
    Read more