Satellite
  • Day 10

    Day 10 London

    October 29, 2021 in England ⋅ ⛅ 55 °F

    Thinking we were a bit tired. I slept 12 hours and Illene 14!!! 😃. So off for a walk! A break in last night’s rain so we decided to take a chance and try something outside. Considering the forecast is for rain almost every day we are here, 😩 there will be plenty of times for museums.
    On the “tube” to Paddington Station which exits onto the canal. We are on our way to Little Venice. If you have never done this in London, it’s a must do. We did the walk from the station to Regents Park. ( including a few wrong turns). All along the way are interesting canal boats, some are house boats and others quite in ruin. Some boat “traffic” on the waterway and lots of wonderful fall colors in the trees. The weather could have been better but still a great outside activity and away from the hustle and bustle of the City. Lunched at a restaurant on one of the many bridges over the canal. Great spot for a stop.

    Walked a mile or two in the huge Regents Park, one of my favorites in London. (I once went to the outdoor theater here and saw Peter Pan). Back to our “home” tube stop and walked around the train station and had tea in the St. Pancras hotel there. Wonderful sculpture representing the historic train station and the lovers saying goodbyes. (Paul Day - sculptor)
    Back home for a “lie down” before our evening plans. Finally into “downtown” London; Piccadilly, SoHo, Coventry Garden and the heart of the West End - the theater district. People everywhere, as usual. Wended our way to St-Martin-in-the-Fields on Trafalger Square, historic church on this site since Medieval times. Also a venue for classical music all year around. Tonight’s ensemble from the UK is playing Bach, Vivaldi and Mozart in a candlelight service. Wonderful familiar music well-performed. Still had lots of energy so stopped for a drink at The German Gymnasium. 😂. Huge, multilevel bar/restaurant and very busy at 11PM. A glass of wine and home to bed. 9.8 miles on my walking app today! 😱
    Read more