Satellite
  • Day 51

    Santiago de Compostela

    June 11, 2018 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 13 °C

    Such an overwhelming mix of emotions as I first glimpse the spires of the cathedral through the mist. Joy, sorrow, relief. This was a hard camino - duro. I struggled. But it was very, very beautiful. The landscape, the flowers, the loveliest of cities, Sevilla, Mérida, Cáceres, Salamanca, Zamora. Such a journey.

    And the people. Those with whom I formed bonds of friendship and who I will see again, and those I met briefly but who showed this stranger great kindness. They touched my heart.

    Walking into Santiago on the Via de la Plata route is different to the entrance to many cities. No tramping through horrible industrial areas or endless suburbs. Instead it is a soft dirt path through farmland, then a typical Galician green lane alongside streams and waterfalls and suddenly you pop out with the view of the cathedral straight ahead. Wonderful.

    The whole of the last day of walking I found so beautiful. It is hard to believe Galicia was once (is?) the poorest province in Spain. Solid, well built, large houses, with late model cars in the drives, manicured gardens and well tended vegetable patches - all looking prosperous and well maintained. And forests and fields and - flowers.

    And so now after prayers at the sanctuary of St James, two days of reunions, fabulous seafood feasts, and far too much shopping, I start my journey home.

    Ulteía y sustraía.
    Read more