Satellite
  • Day 20

    Rockland ME

    August 21, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    We explored Rockland today, and loved it. It seems like a creative, energetic small city. Lots of art galleries, a great art museum, antiques, TWO independent bookstores!! And one of Collin’s college friends, Jack, lives here.

    David and I found a nice coffee place this morning complete with disgustingly large, delicious cinnamon rolls. David had to return to the boat to fix the septic (really bad job, so glad he knows how to do that) so I explored the bookstores, the Island Institute (connected to Allen Island where we stayed the night before last) and saw the art museum (while David was doing shower math, see entry below) and then we met at the Lighthouse Museum.

    The art museum has lots of Andrew Wyeth’s work, Winslow Homer, some Frank Benson, Fitz Hugh Lane, Frank Bellows, and at least one Prendergast. I didn’t have time to see everything but did the best I could. One of the Wyeth paintings referenced a building on Allen Island that we saw!

    The connection with Allen Island is from the owner, Betsy Wyeth (widow of Andrew). The Wyeths supported the Island Institute by establishing Allen Isl. as a campus for the Institute.

    The lighthouse museum was fascinating. We got to see close up how the many prisms (of the Fresnel lens) increased the light projected by the lighthouses. They also had models of the Nantucket, a restored lightship that we have often passed while sailing in Boston Harbor.

    It was wonderful to see Collin’s friend Jack tonight. He told us all about his work at the Island Institute, where they are trying to find ways for Maine island communities to be sustainable, economically and culturally.

    We may leave tomorrow and head to Isle Au Haut, but we are expecting rain and possibly fog. We will wait til morning to see what the day is like.
    Read more