Satellite
  • Day 35

    Damariscove Island

    September 5, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 77 °F

    If you zoom in on this cove, you will see how narrow it is. It is also very shallow along the edges (i.e., 1’) so we had only about 50’ (which felt like 30’) to maneuver our 43’ boat. It was a little nerve-wracking while David was setting the anchor (and calling out “make sure we don’t hit the ledges”), so we were glad when another sailboat was leaving and they shouted that we should take the mooring they just left, as there was plenty of depth. Not much side room, mind you, but beggars can’t be choosers.

    With mooring out of the way, we rowed over to the island, which is a nature preserve. We were able to hike from one end to the other. It is a fascinating place. Besides having stunning views, it has a lot of history. The Abenaki tribe was the first group to fish on the island. By 1604, Europeans had discovered it and began to settle here, and started a thriving fishing port.

    Believe it or not, the Mayflower landed here in 1620 as the group was searching for a place to start their colony. They stocked up on “coddes” (that’s codfish to you modern landlubbers). Now, this island is only 1.8 miles long, and given this tiny cove I cannot imagine how this entrance we could have been used by the Mayflower (it must have used its dories). Nevertheless, this was a thriving commercial center in its time. I suppose sort of like Target. Thus, there are foundations and remnants of old buildings that housed the early fisher families.

    In 1689, during the French and Indian War, the owner of the island was attacked on his sloop off the coast of Pemaquid (a peninsula we passed today) beheaded, and thrown overboard. He and his loyal dog were washed ashore on this island, and are still seen here on foggy nights (Note: tonight is not foggy but I will let you know what happens).

    Another event in the history parade was during the War of 1812, when the famous naval battle between the American brig “Boxer” and the English brig “Enterprise” took place off the shores of this island.

    The area across the land bridge is the major nesting area for eiders (ducks)(think “eiderdown” in your comforters) in the US. We did not see any today, however (it is past nesting season).

    It also is the site of a former US Life Saving Station (today’s Coast Guard) built in 1897, because of the “frequent shipwrecks on the shoals and ledges.” (Note reference to ledges in para. 1, above). The station is now a private home. (I will take a picture of it tomorrow when the sun is not directly behind it, very charming). It is probably available for rent, and, there are openings for 2 caretakers for next summer, if any of you are interested.
    Read more