Satellite
  • Day 37

    Isles of Shoals

    September 7, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 68 °F

    You should definitely come here. And there is a good chance you could. (Actually, this could be a perfect place for an Autodesk retreat. Just saying’.)

    As we speak, there is a coterie of artists, writers, photographers, musicians, poets, and yoga goddesses (their name, not mine) having retreats on Star Island, one of a tiny archipelago of 9 islands. Star Island has been owned by the Unitarian Church since 1915, and it is open to groups and individuals during the summer. You get lodging and meals, and it is committed to sustainability. We are on one of their moorings tonight, listening to the mournful foghorn and the many birds.

    AND it was discovered by Capt. John Smith in 1614.

    AND I got a free zucchini from their garden (I did not steal it).

    The well-known poet Celia Thaxter (another Hingham name, but relationship unknown) was from White Island. She was the daughter of the lighthouse keeper. Later, she lived on Appledore Island and established her reputation. While she lived in the isles, a resort was started, and who should visit but Sarah Orne Jewett (see “thought for the day” post from yesterday), Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, and American impressionist painter Childe Hassam.

    For those of you who like Smuttynose craft beer, it is not made on the nearby Smuttynose Island which I am looking at. But, it was named for the island. The island received its name because the rocks at one end are black. I’ll post a picture of the island,but it will be hard to distinguish between the black rocks and the tide marks.

    Pirates came to these islands, including Capt. Kidd. Blackbeard brought his 15th wife to Smuttynose, and then left when the British fleet came after him (and he never returned). (David added, “and now Greybeard is here).

    Hopefully, this is enough to entice you.
    Read more