Satellite
  • Day 3

    Around the world at Epcot

    May 18, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 31 °C

    Okay - quick primer. Epcot is all about the world with a civilization bent. It has the iconic globe which covers both human history and futuristic space type stuff. Then there is a large lake surrounded by “pavilions” from twelve countries. Each pavilion has experiences (food, rides, concerts) that are culturally connected to the country represented.

    Epcot is said to have the best food of the Disney parks since it has offerings from a variety of countries. Our resort is a 10 minute boardwalk stroll from the France pavilion so we set out at 9AM with empty stomachs to be filled at the patisserie.

    Shortly after getting onto the boardwalk Goofy, Donald Duck and Pluto came out to say hi to the kids who were equal parts thrilled and scared. It felt like we were in a Disney resorts commercial - maybe we were?

    Once at the France pavilion Melissa kindly waited in line at the patisserie while the kids and I took in a Beauty and the Beast sing-along attraction. Belle is from France so Beauty and the Beast feature prominently at the pavilion along with Ratatouille. Eleanor was annoyed people were signing at the sing along, but otherwise it was a great way to wait for croissants and tartes. Carb loaded and sunscreened we tackled the walk around the lake which is 1.2 miles but feels WAY longer in 35+ degree heat.

    Norway was our destination because it is home to Arrendale, where Elsa and Anna live. One of the reasons we chose Epcot is the new, very popular ride created around the Frozen characters in the Norway pavilion. Melissa woke up at 7 am to deploy two layers of paid privilege that allowed us to book a time to go on the ride. At 11:40, we arrived, scanned our cards and basically walked on. The ride was excellent. Very elaborate - very Disney. Eleanor was scared so it was more for the rest of us in the end. It was a boat ride and everyone left a little wet which helped us keep cool.

    We checked out a mariachi band at the Mexico pavilion and then another ride about the development of communication through the ages in the iconic Epcot dome.

    At 1PM we went to Space 220. Having learned yesterday it is wise/necessary to have reservations for food, I made this one late last night. Space 220 is a new experiential dining restaurant where you are brought 220 miles into space, via very convincing simulation, to dine looking down at earth. It is ‘fine’ dining meaning the food is not deep fried and there is a server. Expensive, time consuming, but memorable.

    Post-lunch we went back for a siesta at the resort and then u-turned back to Epcot in the evening. The kids protested; they wanted to check out the very exciting resort pool which they have yet to play in.

    10 minutes after arriving back at Epcot we got caught in a torrential downpour that lasted about 30 minutes. At first we all huddled under an umbrella and then the kids got bored of huddling and danced in the rain. Our ponchos and umbrellas were left behind at the resort. We had some dry clothes for Eleanor but nothing for Malcolm. Lessons were learned.

    We finished the day at a building devoted to Nemo and friends. More rides, immersive experiences and some live dolphins and manatees (which made me feel sad).

    Before crossing the bridge back to our resort for bed we paused at the France pavilion to watch Epcot’s big fireworks show accompanied over speakers by music from around the world. The kids played with their glow sticks and we ate French crepes.

    It is 11:30 now. Kids are asleep. Tomorrow is Animal Kingdom and at this point I know virtually nothing about it, nor do we have a reservation to eat. Epcot is walking distance. Animal Kingdom is not which likely effects how we plan our day. Mel and I will need to figure all of that out - plus what ride we want to book at 7AM. Whatever we end up eating or whichever rides we go on we will be accompanied by ponchos.

    Have a magical night.
    Read more