Satellite
  • Day 4

    Anchorage and the Museum

    August 16, 2017 in the United States ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    This morning we rode the People Mover from the Dimond Centre into the city terminus. It took around 25 minutes. We had a bonus......Wednesday is Seniors Free-to-ride day. The drivers are so patient and the buses are totally wheelchair enabled. On regular days, the fare is $2/ride or $5 all day and if you're a senior it is $1. Needless to say, the transit is well used.

    Shopping is centred around the 5th Ave Mall. Multiple levels across multiple blocks with enclosed bridges across the roads. All the main stores are here - well known US brands like Nordstrom and JC Penney, along with the international brands like Sephora, Pandora etc.

    Over 4 levels, the Anchorage Museum has a lot to offer. The top 2 levels are temporary exhibits; the 2nd level is a partnership with the Smithsonian in an exhibit called "I am Inuit"; and the lower level is given over to discovery and education; with a look into the conservation area close up.

    Level 4 had a temporary exhibit about Slow TV. An interesting concept where you can watch things that evolve slowly in order to reduce the stress of modern life. Yes, it is Scandinavian in origin, from Norway, but it has been picked up by Netflix. You can watch a crackling open fire, take a train ride in real time, watch an icebreaker cut a path through sea ice etc.

    Level 3's exhibit dealt with the relationship between Alaska and Russia, historically and present day. Purchased for US$7.2 million in 1867, the cheque is on display and official document. Maps show the border, International Date Line, between the Diomede Islands. Big Diomede is part of Siberia and Little Diomede is Alaska. An interesting contrast was the Russian and US depictions of Santa Claus. We checked out the nesting dolls and an interesting one was all the US presidents alongside their Russian counterparts in the nesting doll format. Some space was taken up about the role of dogs in both countries particularly in exploration both on the ice and in space.

    Level 2 is the "I am an Inuit" exhibition. A very interesting look at the culture and artefacts of Inuit tribes of Alaska. Of particular note, we had never seen the Gut Parka made from the intestines of captured animals. It's waterproof and light, the Inuit version of a spray jacket. It amazes us how many commonalities there are between the Inuit and the Asian cultures like Mongolia. The last pic is a set of Inuit armour, which we had never seen before.

    The lower level was a discovery and education space which was a great way interactive space for kids. Windows give an easy look into the conservator's domain. Currently, they were working on leather garments.
    Read more