Satellite
  • Day 14

    Day 14 Corfu to Ioannina

    May 25, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    I was glad to leave the cave behind though only scratched the surface of Corfu. It took me the 3 days to work out how not to get lost in the old town - it was a surprisingly big town and with a car the island must have a lot to offer.
    Early start with 8:15 bus from the Green Bus Terminal. Had to buy bus and ferry ticket at bus station but yet they stop at the port for some to get out and buy the ferry ticket. Ferry was uneventful, found the bus again and got stuck with crazy woman who looked terrified the bus would crash, then Ktel at its finest dumped me 5 km out of Ioannina. Lovely greek girl from bus appeared with taxi going to the bus station I was expecting and she offered me a lift - saved!!
    Ioannina bus station was savage - crowded as it is election day tomorrow and many people have to return to their home town to vote. Bought a ticket for Monday and was not thinking much of Ioannina till i reached Its Kale Hotel in the walls of the old castle - mountains with snow in the distance. Half an hour wait for room but they gave me coffee, apple pie, water, wifi and information - does not happen that way in Berlin!
    Great lunch of mushroom, potato, cheese bake and first retsina at the most crowded taverna in the main shopping street. And complimentary salad with unusual greens “from the sea”.
    Dinner at Serios recommended by hotel was ordinary grilled chicken, large bowl of horta and 1/4 kilo white wine.
    Read more