Satellite
  • Day 13

    Day 13 Corfu

    May 24, 2019 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Fun day even though the cruise ships were in. Bought 2 excellent small spanakopitas and walked early up to the new fort and the old fort for spectacular views over the town and sea. Decided against bus to Sidari as likely to be as touristy as Paleokastritsa yesterday and I really have not spent much time in Corfu town.
    Walked south to the windmill for an excellent swim off the rocks. Met the local swimmers who are 365 day a year-ers and retired Olympic Airline stewards. Then stopped for what was to be a light lunch and have never tipped nearly 100% of the bill before. Ordered ouzo and fried zucchinis for 6euros total and was also given tzatziki, olives, orange cake, yoghurt and strawberries -Taverna Alexakis will get a good tripadvisor rating from me.
    On the way back I had an afternoon swim just off the corner of where i am staying and was entertained by italian boys being too afraid of the cold water to swim but trying to impress the girls who were already in.
    Angie and Giorgio invited me to their air bnb for ouzo aperitivo so popped downtown and bought a selection of fancy chocolates to take. Just as well as of course aperitivo of course with greek/italians turned into dinner - very pleasant on the steps of the Byzantine Museum with uninterrupted sea and sunset views. Angie’s 90 yo mother Toula joined us - a very fiesty woman who had a strange fixation with Israel and calling us snowmen as we were wrapped in cosy blankets.
    Read more