Satellite
  • Day 4

    (CYYW) Armstrong

    June 11, 2017 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 14 °C

    Oops, again.
    As I got further away from Nakina the vibration returned. It got worse. I decided to shorten the trip to Armstrong. It got worse.

    When I landed the paint on the leading edge of the prop showed many corrugations. I am not sure if the paint swell and buckled or they were just lines of erosion.

    Plan B: get something like acetone and strip away all the paint from the leading edge. Then fly naked to Alberta. At my brother's I will get some supplies to prep the surface, repaint an sand the surface 'properly.

    Unfortunately the Armstrong store does not open until 10 am. It is unlikely I would be able to leave before noon... assuming all goes well. It is not feasible to make it all the way to Drayton Valley.

    The latest plan, for what it's worth, Red Lake ON then Swan River MB.

    The Armstrong airport is quite far from from Armstrong... or anything actually. Ther was no one at the airport and everything was locked up, Cell phones do not work, but they do in downvillage Armstrong.

    I was at the airport for over a half hour, discovering there were zero facilities available. No vehicles past on the road although two freight trains rumbled by. The plane was tied down and my cart loaded for the 1 hour plus walk to town when a pickup truck passed by. I waved to hom and he stopped. Then he drove me to town, gave me a tour recommended a motel and restaurant. He said to call him tomorrow for the ride back to the airport...since there are no taxis.
    Read more