Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    A Palace. A Big One

    September 4, 2019 in South Korea ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    We deliberately chose accommodation without breakfast to force us to get out and try local. I admit that today's choice didn't require much imagination. Right across the road from us Tous les Jours... Yes, I know. But it was quick and satisfying.

    We've got this Seoul metro thing nailed. One stop on the blue line then change to the orange line. Four stops to Gyeongbokgung. A bit of a trek underground to exit and a few more steps than I'd like and we are there. It's a bit of a drizzly day today but we have come prepared. We spot our first group of young girls in traditional Korean dress or Hanbok. You can hire these not far from the palace then gain free entry to several of the ancient sites so I know we are going to see lots of them, but they make great photos. The weather just means we are going to see less traditional footwear as skirts are hoisted to avoid puddles.

    The palace is beautiful and somehow even more so in the rain. Set against a mountain backdrop and hugged in brooding dark cloud it is a place of serenity even with groups of school tours thronging about. We sit in the outdoor area of the cafe in the grounds to take a load off and enjoy the rain falling on the small lake surrounding one of the many pavillions. A couple of Korean school girls see me and giggling say "hello" in unison. I reply "Annyeong haseyo" and they run away exclaiming "woah!"

    The photos tell more of a story today than I can wax unlyrical although some may have water droplets
    Read more