Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Overnight in Crab Territory

    September 13, 2019 in South Korea ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Yesterday was the first day of Chuseok which runs through until Sunday. It is supposed to be a time where korean families return to their homes to spend time together. So I figure the best days to travel are the days in the middle when traffic theoretically should be at its lightest. We don't need to check out until 11:00 so Richard heads foe the beach and we meet up for coffee before heading off.

    We head for a seaside hotel resort that is so insane we must check it out. This is built in the shape of a cruise ship and situated on a headland in an otherwise very pretty township. We stroll around the beachside park ond over to the beach then decide to head on up to the Sun Cruise Resort. First you pay to park, then you pay to enter so we plan to spend a bit of time here. There is an observation deck on the 9th floor and a revolving restaurant on the 10th. We decide to chill with a couple of iced teas while watching the outside literally go by. This is a "cruise" I could do! Not stuck at sea for days on end and you can come and go as you please.

    Returning outdoors we explore the small sculpture park before investigating a small cliff-top lookout. This looks down onto a glass deck extending out over the sea. There are steep steps down to reach it and a queue of people waiting to go out onto it as it is only one or two people at a time, so we decide we are happy to observe from above.

    We return to the village to check out lunch options. We think that we may be prepared to splurge and try the crab the region is famous for. One look at the menus and we know this place is way out of our price range and we decide to head down the road to somewhere a bit less touristy.

    The next town we find exactly what we are looking for. Simgok is a small fishing port village with one claim to fame. A man-made cliff-side waterfall marks the start of a scenic coastal trail. There are two or three eateries and all are traditional style seating, so we princesses are forced to suck it up. We order a fish stew which comes to the table in a cast iron pot and placed over a burner. Again, as before, one meal with rice and accompaniments is plenty for the two of us.
    Read more