Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    On the Road to Busan

    September 17, 2019 in South Korea ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Today we are heading for our final destination before heading home. We have three nights booked in Busan, Korea's second largest city.

    We stop by the National Museum of Gyeongju first, our final attempt to find a horse. Entry to the museum is free and it is a worthwhile diversion but no horses here either.

    The trip from Gyeongju to Busan is only about an hour so I plot a course to Haedong Yonggung Temple in the Sat Nav as it is only a short detour and will be easier to reach on the way than setting out as a day trip once we get there. The temple is set right amongst the rocky cliff-face above a jagged rocky inlet with a small blow-hole. Prayer bowls have been placed in the water for people to throw coins watched on by various deities. There is also a submerged grotto dug out of the rock beneath the temple where worshippers can light candles.

    Leaving the temple and heading for the hotel we are grateful for the Sat Nav but still need the assistance of at least two phone apps to locate it successfully. What the hell did we do before technology? And I'm actually okay at reading maps. We settle in to our room, which is fairly small and basic, before heading out to find something to eat. We choose a place with a well-priced menu that appears to do dumplings and noodles, and have yet another new dining experience. Cold noodles. Apparently this is a thing. They are very tasty but of course I do prefer my noodles with some level of heat so I may not be rushing out to have it again.
    Read more