Satellite
  • Day 7

    Rome --> Foligno

    September 9, 2017 in Italy ⋅ 🌙 19 °C

    Busy day -- We successfully met our group of 20 at the airport and took a bus to Foligno. With a single exception we are all retired. I was used to the vibe in Rome but was surprised how much different it was in Foligno. The town is in the midst of a month long festival similar to the Palio in Siene. Flags indicating different neighborhoods line every street. We walked around town to take on the sights. Much of the central core is a walking zone and at midday there was plenty of people watching to do.

    The shops are so classy -- Mary started collecting photos of clothing to share with her nieces. I like to glasses!

    At one point we happened upon an event where young boys were sitting on ponies practicing with a spear. The competition between neighborhoods features riding around an oval track with a spear trying to pass the spear through various rings. I captured the moment this young man captured a ring on his spear. Of course the task gets more difficult as you are expected to do this at a full gallop and the rings get smaller in diameter as you progress around the arena. We won't be here for the event but apparently this is one of the biggest events for this region in the entire year.
    Read more