Satellite
  • Day 44

    From Bliss to Bullshit

    June 17, 2022 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 90 °F

    Well, we woke up this morning on Lake Greeson happy to be alive! Awake early, we were sitting in our camp chairs by 6:30am…the campgrounds nothing but birdsong. We drank our coffee watching the reflection of the trees on the lake. It was like glass! We didn’t want to leave but our campsite was only available for one night. We weren’t too worried about it since we were heading to Degray Lake. All articles and reviews brag about the clarity of the water.
    Beautiful driving! The countryside is so pretty!
    I normally don’t want breakfast in the morning, but while driving through one of the tiny towns I noticed “Trudy‘s Cafe”. It looked inviting so we stopped. I’m not sure how many of you out there would have actually walked into the café once you had the front door open. (See video, paying particular attention to the ceiling and the floor.) The characters that were in there were priceless! But I’ll tell you what… Our eggs were cooked to perfection, bacon perfect, hashbrowns perfect and the place was spotless. Friendly, friendly people and an old fart who made sure to stop by our table to say, “Hope you find a spot to land.” Such sincerity…making sure to look into both of our eyes with a slight nod.
    When we got to Degray Lake all of the campgrounds were up on thickly wooded hillsides, so no easy access to the water. We were super bummed out we left such an awesome campgrounds on Greeson. It was too far to go back, so we started stressing on where to go from there. Lake Catherine was another lake with rave reviews and it was only 25 minutes away. Unfortunately, we also read that they are always full to capacity. We risked it and found a reserved lakeside site that was a no-show. We could not believe our luck and booked it for two nights.
    Weeelll, so here we are. Boards are pumped up and ready to go, three days of good food in the fridge and lake water so nasty I scrubbed the skin off my feet where they actually touched the water. So gross 🤢! We will head north tomorrow!
    Read more