Satellite
  • Day 94

    Saigon

    March 18, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 95 °F

    This is Glenda writing.

    Yesterday as we drove into Saigon for a tour of the city, we passed rice fields and mangrove swamps. I thought about the young soldiers, so far away from home fifty years ago and so afraid and confused. Many had been drafted and while some Americans were crying, “Hell no, we won’t go!” they did their duty and came to this place so different from their home. They slept on the ground in rain and in intense heat; they watched their friends die and wondered if they would be next. They did their duty. They were alone. They were afraid.

    Back home Americans were growing increasingly hostile toward the war and as these young sons of America came home traumatized and confused, many were spit upon and cursed and called vile names. Chuck was told to not wear his uniform in Washington DC because the wearing of the uniform, even in our nation’s capital, brought insults. So they came home with no welcoming bands and cheering crowds. They came home to America and faced enemies here too because they had done their duty.

    Yesterday evening as the tour busses returned from Saigon, there were many of those same soldiers on those busses. This was their first time back in Vietnam since they left battle weary and still confused 45 years ago. But when those veterans pulled into the parking lot at the port, Viking had music playing, champagne bubbling and a greeting line cheering, as they were welcomed home to this beautiful ship. They were hugged and slapped on the back and they were finally given the welcome they deserved. Many were teary and overcome by this joyous greeting.

    Thank you Sujith Mohan and the Viking crew for welcoming them home. You will never know how much that greeting line and those hugs meant.
    Read more